Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rain! (And other updates)

Its really, really raining. The gardener in me is dancing with delight. Its been such a long, hot summer so far. Admittedly, the rains we're getting are a direct result of the hurricane in the Gulf, but I couldn't be happier. I've been tracking the storm all morning.

I have been remiss in my gardening lately because I resprained my ankle. Which meant that I was back on crutches for another week. This week, I am off of them again and pretty determined to stay off them.

The pickles I made were delicious. We broke into them on day 10 and were rewarded with sweet, spicy, and garlicky dill pickles. Couldn't. Be. Happier. Will be doing that again with the next batch of cukes out of the garden.

The zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and corn are all still producing. Haven't seen much from the pole beans that I planted, but if nothing else, they grew. The herbs have decided to take over the world along with the butternut squashes.

The sweet potatoes are still growing after giving me a pretty good scare. I went out there one afternoon and noticed that 75% of the leaves had been eaten off. After a frantic search for hornworms, I discovered that it was the squirrels. The vines recovered nicely and are still going.

And finally after stumbling last week trying to figure out what the heck I was going to do with the garden this fall, I have a plan. Even better, I have a plan for the garden at the new house. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment