Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Horsing Around

“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man” Sir Winston Churchill

So if you had told me that 6 months ago that my family would be getting involved with horse riding and training, I would have told you that you were crazy. Now, I've been horse crazy since I was 6. You know how little girls are. My mom bought me a book about all different types of horses and I read it until it fell apart. Growing up, I took every chance I got to ride horses. I rode at the family ranch that I've mentioned here before, at friends' houses/ranches...you get the idea. I never did get a horse, but I sure as heck asked every Christmas.

It all started at Dewberry Farms. Anthony did not want to ride the pony ride at the farm, but as we were leaving, we asked if he could sit on the horse that one of the car cowboys was riding. The cowboy slid off and put Anthony in the saddle. You can tell from the expression on his face that he was hooked.


So we took him for lessons... Active 3 year old, channel his energy, why not?


Except that somewhere, I got caught up in it... 



And I started learning how to do the groundwork that I missed in just riding horses and never being taught how to care for them, how to tack up a horse, or get them ready for a ride. I don't think that I realized how much these animals were a part of who I was and how much pleasure I get in brushing, picking hooves, and riding.  

This whole horse thing has the entire family involved! Lessons, care, and rides. I don't think you could ask for a better family activity. Fresh country air, animals, and family time. Can't ask for anything better.

BTW: If you need/want a riding instructor in the Houston area, please email me or post in the comments below with contact information and I will be happy to give you the name of ours!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Finally some pictures! You look amazing & A is absolutely precious! I can't believe how grown-up he is!

    ReplyDelete