Tuesday, May 24, 2011

You've Got To Be Joking...

Or otherwise titled “The making of a barrel horse”
In keeping with the farm denizens spirit of this month, meet Joker.
 Ignore the hair on both of us...It was humid...
Yes, that’s really his name. He’s a 9 year old Palomino Quarter Horse gelding. He is absolutely without a doubt one of the prettiest horses I’ve seen. I might be a little biased here because he is decorating my pasture and I’m training him. When I was a little girl playing with Barbie dolls, I had the Palomino dream horse. I can’t remember the toy horse’s name, but I lugged it everywhere and spent more hours playing with it than Barbie. When the opportunity to play with a real live Palomino came about, well, I couldn’t pass it up. Joker is about 16 hands high and weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 lbs. What can I say? I like my men and my horses big. J Since this is a family-friendly blog, I’ll get back to my story…
Joker is full of piss and vinegar. He’s stubborn and opinionated. And we get along just fine since that’s my personality too. I’ve mentioned on this blog that I have been barrel racing. I learned on a great little horse named Sheba who belongs to the roommate and have been polishing my technique and teaching Joker his job. That is to say his job is to slingshot my butt and his around those barrels as fast as he can. He and I have been learning a lot about each other and how much I’ll let him get away with (not much, since Mama carries a riding crop in the saddle with her and makes sure that he knows I have it). I think as our career progresses, we will be a fine team.
Tired Horse, Taken After a Barrels Lesson

No comments:

Post a Comment