Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fall Gardening

It's here. The subtle change in the air. The way the shadows are casting. The not quite so oppressive heat. And the almost imperceptable changes in the colors of the leaves. It was with all these thoughts in mind that I got busy and started making the fall plans. Fall means cole crops in Southeast Texas. Cabbages, broccoli, greens...Yum! And because it would be zero fun to be a gardener without some experimentation....rhubarb and quinoa.

This past Saturday, I started:
Quinoa (from seed obtained at the HEB bulk grains aisle)
Broccoli
Romaine Lettuce
Black Seeded Simpson lettuce
Red Cabbage
Green Cabbage
Bush Beans

I got all of these started early so that I could have optimum growth by the time the really cold weather hit. I didn't do well with these last year because I got them in far too late and we had a cold winter hit very quickly. They never really did amount to much. So just like all gardeners, I have promised that this year will be different.

My okra is still not producing very well and I am not happy with the Clemson Spineless variety. I don't miss getting my hands prickered up from the other variety, but by this time last year, I was sticking okra in people's pockets in an attempt to get rid of it. I think I'll be switching back. I am looking forward to fall tomatoes. I nursed my current plants through the worst of the summer and am hoping to be paid back for the water and time I put into them. As long as the dreaded horn worms don't attack...but that's more for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment