Friday, April 9, 2010

Peas, Please?!

The first thing I do after getting home from work is run out to the garden to check and see what is going on. Frequently, this is interrupted by chasing Anthony back into the backyard (note to self, new house must have fenced backyard!), hollering at him to stop digging in my veggie beds with my trowel, and hauling him into the house to wash his hands and kiss away all the fire ant bites that he got while digging in my garden (and if I wasn't his mommy, I'd say serves him right). I encourage his participation in gardening, I just don't appreciate when he tries to dig up my cucumber seedlings when there is a perfectly good sandbox to dig in. On the rare occasion that I get a few minutes peace out in the garden, I notice the new things that are happening. The tomatoes have lots of flowers and there are baby tomatoes on the paste variety that I am growing, there are new leaves everywhere, and what did my wandering eyes behold?

PEAS!



Giddiness is the best way I can describe it. I tried peas in the fall and was rewarded with one measly flower and a bunch of dead plants. So like any good gardener, I tried again. Lo and behold, it's working this time. The peas have not filled in yet, but it was all I could do not to eat the darn thing off the plant because it looked so tasty. I planted 10 seeds in January. All 10 have come up and are growing, with lots of pretty little pea flowers. I can't wait until pea pickin' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment